Posted on Feb 10, 2016 | Comments 0
Ko Samui, is situated in the Gulf of Thailand and is a spectacular destination, famous for its palm-fringed, sun kissed beaches, mountainous rainforests and undersea wildlife. It is home to plush spas and exotic resorts and electrifying night life. This island is small in size to be covered in a day with a motorbike or taxi. This place attracts backpackers considerably.
Tips for a Budget Travel to Koh Samui
- From the Surat Thani airport a bus will take you to the jetty and from there via ferry you will reach the island. The ferry docks at Nathon Pier.
- For getting around, taxicabs are available on the island almost everywhere and frequently travel to the main towns. On arrival at Nathon pier, drivers are on the watch out for passengers and can exhibit false standard price signs. You have to fiercely negotiate to avoid being hood winked.
- Public buses known as songthaews are available which enclosed pick-up trucks are. They are cheaper than taxis and act as either shared taxis or buses. If you simply board them and press the buzzer, they go by dirt cheap rates depending on the distance you wish to travel. The charge is different for locals and foreigners.
- Motorbikes can be rented but follow the road rules and adopt safety measures while riding one. The rental companies generally wish to keep your passport but this should be avoided.
- Bicycles can also be rented and is a very safe mode of transportation to get around the island.
- Cars from reputed companies like Budget and Avis can be hired too but are more expensive compared to bicycles or bikes.
- The island is laced with a couple of good beaches like Chaweng and Lamai which are the crowd pullers and are mostly infested with young backpackers. It is a happening place and is bordered with restaurants, souvenir shops and other eateries for the benefit of the tourists. For a tranquil and serene atmosphere, the north beaches of Mae Nam or Choengman are ideal. Nathon and Lipa Noi beaches are present on the eastern part of the island.
- The Big Buddha statue is the island’s most popular attraction situated in the north-east corner of it. Locally it is known as Wat Phra Yai. Wat Khunaram ,the most popular mummified monk is another noteworthy attraction.
- Hin Ta and Hin Yai are the phallic rocks and Na Muang waterfalls are also must see attractions.
- Ang Thong Marine Park, aquarium, tiger zoo, butterfly and insect museum are among the other notable attractions.
- Monkey shows and elephant camps are situated in the Bophut Beach area.
- A number of small temples (wats) and other religious structures adorn the island.
Food and Dining
They have a system of dual food pricing. Different kinds of cuisine are available and seafood is quite popular here.
There are many budget hotels and cheap guest houses neat to the beaches, on this island which have decent rates and the rooms are equipped with modern and ample facilities, including swimming pools.
Many day tours are available and the hotel makes the necessary arrangements for such tours. Scuba diving, boat trips and snorkelling are the common water sports of the place.
Thus by following the budget travel tips to Koh Samui, you can enjoy a memorable trip without burning a hole in your pocket.
Posted in: BUDGET TRAVEL